Register for the Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community. Virtual walkers welcome.
PITTSBURGH, Pa. -- Now is the time to register to join the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation Team at the Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community on Saturday May 21 in downtown Pittsburgh. By walking with our team--or walking alongside our team virtually--you will not only support the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation, you'll be taking a step toward better health.
Register now to join the 5K or One-Mile Fun Walk, and then raise money to support the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation. Registration is free. The minimum donation is $5. Those who make a $25 donation and who are present at the Walk will receive a free t-shirt, while supplies last. Walkers and virtual team members may donate or pledge online. 100 percent of funds will be used to support programs that raise awareness and save lives threatened by sudden cardiac arrest (SCA).
How to Register
There are several ways to register.
- Join an existing Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation team here, including the Foundation's "You Can Save a Life" team found here.
- Set up your own team to support the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation here.
- Contact us for a print brochure at info [at] sca-aware.org or 724-934-0034.
How To Set Up a Walking Team
Consider becoming a team captain. Responsibilities include:
- Building a team of walkers from co-workers, family and friends
- Setting a fundraising goal
- Customizing your team page with text and photos (optional)
- Motivating walkers/ virtual team members to raise money for the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation
- Communicating walk information and distributing walk registration information to team members.
For example, do you know someone who survived SCA? Build a team in honor of the survivor his or her rescuers. Do you know someone who did not survive SCA? Build a team in his or her memory. Are you simply passionate about the cause--to raise awareness and save lives threatened by SCA? Then begin to promote your team to your friends, family and colleagues through Facebook, Twitter, e-mail, and word of mouth.
Sample team names:
- Friends of John Smith
- In Honor of the Heroes Who Saved Jessica Jones
- In Memory of Rex Roberts
- (School Name) High School Students Who Care
- (College Sports) Team
- (Company Name) Employees for Saving Lives
- (Name) Police Department/ Fire Department/ Emergency Medical Services
To set up your own team, click here.
- The Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community will be held on Saturday, May 21 on the North Shore of Pittsburgh.
- Walk registration is at 7:45 a.m. The 5K walk begins at 9 a.m., and the one-mile walk begins at 9:15 a.m.
- Registration is free, but walkers are encouraged to raise funds for the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation.
- People who walk and who raise $25 or more will receive a free t-shirt, while supplies last.
- After the walk, Highmark will provide refreshments, raffle drawings, games and live entertainment for the participants.
Win Great Prizes!
Teams that raise $1,000 or more will be entered into a drawing and become eligible to win great prizes. The team that raises the most funding ($1,000 or more) will receive an automated external defibrillator (AED), which may be donated to the community location (e.g., school, work, church) of the winner's choice. Both actual walking teams and virtual teams are eligible to win.
About the Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community
The Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community is a fundraiser that benefits 67 local nonprofit health and human service agencies in the Pittsburgh area, including the Sudden Cardiac Arrest Foundation. Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield underwrites the cost of the walk so that 100 percent of the money raised by walkers and virtual walkers goes directly to support our mission to raise awareness and save lives threatened by sudden cardiac arrest.