COLUMBIA FALLS, Mont.- A Columbia Falls High School student collapsed after his heart failed earlier this week, but some quick action brought him back to life.
The 16-year-old student is now recovering in the Intensive Care Unit at Kalispell Regional Medical Center after collapsing during gym class at around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.
School staff began performing CPR to save his life and then several people, including the athletic trainer and nurse, began using a defibrillator to shock the student and get him breathing.
Three Rivers EMS was on the scene within four minutes and by the time emergency responders got to the student he had a pulse and was breathing on his own.
The student was then taken by ambulance to Kalispell Regional Medical Center and placed in ICU.
Kalispell public schools got more than $4,000 from the Plum Creek Foundation and Flathead Electric back in 2009 to buy automated external defibrillators.
The issue got some major attention when a Bigfork High School senior died after going into cardiac arrest during football practice in August of 2007.
One of his friends raised enough money to get two defibrillators and training on the device for Bigfork High School.