SOUTHLAKE, TX--Twelve-year-old Kylee Shea collapsed when walking to class. Thanks to the quick thinking of two coaches, she's alive today to celebrate Thanksgiving with her family.
Shea's heart stopped beating for three minutes.
Now, holiday traditions for the Shea's will be forever changed: every moment seems like a miracle. It's something they're truely thankful for.
For nearly two days, family worked to prepare the Thanksgiving feast. It was complete with everything you'd expect: turkey, salad, stuffing, but the family meal was more than just a meal.
It was a celebration.
"This could have been a completely different thanksgiving," said Sheryl Shae.
"I remember walking to class, and feeling really tired, and trying to sit down, but falling over," said Kylee.
The whole thing caught on video. Kylee last remembers telling her friends to go on ahead.
"If we don't get to class at a certain time, we get in trouble. So, I just told them to go on and not get in trouble," said Kylee.
While Kylee was unconcious, two coaches grabbed an AED, and brought her back to life.
"I truly believe this was God's plan. I am so thankful that we live in the state of Texas where AED's are required in schools," said Sheryl.
Now, Kylee has a new relationship with those coaches.
"Before they were just telling me to run and everything like that, and they just felt like a regular teacher. Now, it's definitely a lot more than before," said Kylee.
And her mother doesn't go anywhere without her own AED.
If Kylee had fallen down in another place, at another time, the AED wouldn't have been there, nor would those trained to use it. In a way, the timing was perfect.
"If this had to happen, everything happened perfectly," said Sheryl. "If this happened the day before, if this happened anywhere else, the outcome would not be this. She would not be with us."
Kylee doing fine now. She's on medication for arrhythmia, and has a pacemaker. The family still doesn't know what led to that sudden cardiac arrest, but say they'd like to see every state require AED's in schools .
SOURCE: KDAF TV